Parmesan-Pork Zucchini Boats
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; set aside. Chop pulp; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic and zucchini pulp; saute for 3-5 minutes or until pulp is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Sprinkle salt inside zucchini shells. Fill each with 3 tablespoons meat mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour water into dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender and filling is heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 408 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1134mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
May 2, 2018
I cut the filling in half, but used one large zucchini and it fit pretty almost all of it. These were VERY yummy. I had used leftover sausage that had already been cooked with onion, which helped lower the amount of time needed. Overall a great meal!
May 7, 2015
These are delicious! We substituted ground turkey for the sausage to save calories. We added some extra spices to make up for the spices in the sausage. This is a light but filling meal. This was our entire meal.
Aug 31, 2014
I had so much zucchini from my garden I did not know what to do with it, so I tried this recipe since I was heading to dinner with friends. It was awesome and everyone wanted the recipe. This one is a keeper.