Greek Sandwich Bites
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the spinach; cook and stir until wilted. Drain. Stir in the feta, pine nuts, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spread over four bread slices; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted, turning once. Cut each sandwich into quarters.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 87 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Jan 27, 2018
Excellent! Like a previous review from equestsarah81, I only made one sandwich too and added extra olive oil as suggested. Simple and tasty. I didn't have pine nuts (too expensive) so threw in some walnuts for the crunch. This is keeper!
Aug 7, 2011
May 24, 2011
VERY GOOD!!!! I only made 1 sandwish for lunch to try it and believe me, I WILL BE MAKING THIS AGAIN!!! I wouldn't change a thing but I think you would definitely have to use more olive oil (I added as much as I felt I needed and used at least 1 tbsp just for the 1 sandwish (4 servings)). I think this would be good if shredded rotisserie chicken or real bacon bits were added too!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.