Athenian Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Mozzarella and feta cheese make one delicious duo in this upscale grilled cheese that also features tender chicken and fresh herb flavor. —Michael Cohen, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 8 slices olive or Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, mint, oregano and capers. Distribute half the cheese mixture evenly among 4 bread slices. Layer with chicken and remaining cheese mixture. Top with remaining bread. Brush outsides of sandwiches with remaining oil.
- On a griddle, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 605 calories, 36g fat (13g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 918mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Athenian Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.