Stuffed Sirloin Roast
Bacon on top gives this roast a slightly smoky flavor. With a colorful stuffing, slices look lovely on a platter.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 9 bacon strips, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- In a large skillet, cook six bacon strips over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In drippings, saute onion, celery and carrot until crisp-tender. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs, parsley, garlic powder, pepper and bacon. Let stand until liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1-in. thickness. Remove plastic; spread stuffing over meat to within 1 in. of edges. Close roast and tie at 1-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cut remaining bacon strips in half; arrange over top of roast. Bake, uncovered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat reached desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pound: 217 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 178mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Sirloin Roast in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips