Zucchini Yeast Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1-2/3 to 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the milk, sugar, butter, orange zest and salt. Beat in the zucchini, raisins, whole wheat flour, cardamom and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down; shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 138 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 9, 2015
I doubled the recipe, omitted the raisins...and the resulting bread is outstanding! It's substantial in the mouth, it sliced beautifully, and it makes superior toast. I'll make this again for sure
Oct 7, 2013
This bread is delicious. The blending of the white & wheat flours, the orange rind and the cardamom are improved upon even more by the toaster!!
Aug 28, 2010
This tastes more like a wonderfully moist cinnamon raisin bread than zucchini bread, but it's delicious. Everyone who tasted it wanted the recipe.