Arrabbiata Sauce with Zucchini Noodles
This popular Italian dish is very spicy and full of flavor. We decided to recreate one of our favorite jarred sauces and serve over zucchini pasta for a lighter, healthier meal that's naturally gluten-free. The results were amazing! —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- ZUCCHINI NOODLES:
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook and crumble beef with onion and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, honey, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For noodles, trim ends of zucchini. Using a spiralizer, cut zucchini into thin strands. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini; cook until slightly softened, 1-2 minutes, tossing constantly with tongs (do not overcook). Sprinkle with salt. Serve with sauce. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Editor's Note: If a spiralizer is not available, zucchini may also be cut into ribbons using a vegetable peeler. Saute as directed, increasing time as necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup sauce with 1 cup zucchini noodles: 287 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Italian Arrabbiatta Sauce over Zucchini in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2018