Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion and zucchini pulp over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the marinara sauce, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160° and zucchini are tender. Serve with additional marinara sauce.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 stuffed zucchini halves: 394 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Sep 24, 2019
This was the best recipe for stuffed zucchini that I have tried.
Aug 21, 2019
Made this for the first time tonight and we both enjoyed it. I added a tsp. of chopped garlic (we put garlic in just about everything..:) It added to the good flavor of this recipe. May add a little more the next time we have this.
Jun 22, 2019
Made recipe exact with exception of baking it instead of cooking in microwave. Meat mixture definitely needs some additional seasoning.
Jun 27, 2018
I made these for dinner tonight and they were delicious! Very easy and quick to prepare!
Sep 19, 2017
I made these for dinner tonight and they were a hit! I used Taco sauce instead of the marinara sauce and for the last step I sprinkled them with the cheese and some broken corn chips before popping them back in the oven. I'll make these again!
Sep 13, 2017
Made tonight for dinner..added green pepper an use dices tomatoes an Rotella mild..an some mozzarella cheese. Was good an will do again.. put extra burger around zucchini shells
Nov 3, 2016
This recipe was great. I added a bit of minced garlic in while cooking the ground beef. Very tasty.To ALL who said the recipe didn't say what to do with the pulp - review the directions. It clearly states what to do with it....... Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion and zucchini pulp over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Sep 27, 2016
Nice change. My husband said it's a keeper. I did go the conventional route rather than microwave and boiled the zucchini shells for a couple minutes. After filling them I put them under the broiler for 4-5 minutes as suggested by sstetzel. Turned out great!
Sep 11, 2016
made this recipe today, I added the pulp zucchini, however the recipe does not tell you what to do with. am I missing something
Aug 11, 2016
I've made this dinner a few times now, sometimes with bell peppers instead of zucchini, and it's always a hit. Pretty impressive, since two of my food critics are young kids. My husband and I are also pleased with the low calorie count.