Saucy Stuffed Zucchini
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside.
- Chop zucchini pulp. Place pulp in a saucepan; add the sausage, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mustard.
- Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 346 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1126mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Dec 14, 2017
We thought this recipe was ok... maybe I should of used the hot italian sausage... it needed something.. we thought it was kind of bland.
Sep 11, 2017
This is a great recipe! my family loved it!
Apr 5, 2017
I first made this for a church potluck dinner last year and it was a complete success! I have made it a number of times since then and it is consistently good!
Aug 17, 2016
Very good. I will make this again.
Jun 25, 2016
I thought it was fantastic
Nov 28, 2015
Delicious was to serve zucchini. I seemed to have a bit more sauce than needed so added some cookies pasta to the finished casserole.
Aug 11, 2015
I have a question..do you eat the skins? Thank you
Jun 17, 2015
Wow, really yummy! we will make again and again as our zuchinni comes in!
Sep 30, 2014
This was delicious. I used lean ground beef in place of sausage. I also will just boil the zucchini for only 1 1/2 minutes.To make sure they don't fall apart. Other than that it was great.
Sep 1, 2014
My family loved this!!! I skipped the cooking of the shells first though. We like are vegees firm.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.