Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise; remove pulp, leaving a 1/4-in.-thick shell. Cube pulp; set shells and pulp aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until onion is tender. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, red pepper and eggplant pulp; saute for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the tomatoes, wheat germ, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute.
- Divide mixture evenly between the eggplant shells; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until shells are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 186 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 12g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Sep 16, 2017
Very tasty and hearty! However, I'd advise to peel eggplants a bit If you want to eat the actual eggplant. Also, a lot of pulp came from the eggplants and had to freeze half of it.
Jul 21, 2015
Fabulous flavor, a really good dish.
Oct 2, 2011
This is a great recipe..very flavorful and easy to make. I will definitely make it again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.