Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. thick shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add spinach; cook and stir 7 minutes. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Add spinach and cheese to remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle tomato shells with garlic salt and pepper; stuff with spinach mixture. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with reserved crumbs. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 190 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 24, 2017
This was really good! I used croutons and crushed them and I also used fresh spinach and it was great! One comment says to use less croutons/bread crumbs and I agree.
Apr 23, 2013
Simple and tasty.Need to use less bread crumbs and more cheese. I found 3/4 cups of bread crumbs made it a little too dry so I uses 1/2 cup the second time. Delicious recipe though. Everyone was fighting over the last one.