Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. thick shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add spinach; cook and stir 7 minutes. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Add spinach and cheese to remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle tomato shells with garlic salt and pepper; stuff with spinach mixture. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with reserved crumbs. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 190 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 24, 2017
This was really good! I used croutons and crushed them and I also used fresh spinach and it was great! One comment says to use less croutons/bread crumbs and I agree.
Apr 23, 2013
Simple and tasty.Need to use less bread crumbs and more cheese. I found 3/4 cups of bread crumbs made it a little too dry so I uses 1/2 cup the second time. Delicious recipe though. Everyone was fighting over the last one.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.