Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Pockets
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute spinach in 2 teaspoons oil until spinach is wilted. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the spreadable cheese, 2/3 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with spinach mixture. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place egg in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the pepper and remaining bread crumbs and salt. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half : 539 calories, 35g fat (13g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 819mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
May 16, 2017
This was very good. We enjoyed it. (I did a review a few minutes ago, but for some reason it did not take. This is the second one it happened on. I do want to get this review in because we enjoyed it.) Thanks for the recipe.
May 16, 2017
This was very good. We enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe.
Jan 25, 2017
The flavor of the chicken was DELICIOUS! I used panko crumbs for my outer coating, which made it nice and crispy. The problem I had was because of the thickness of the chicken breasts, my chicken was not cooked all the way even though both sides were browned. Any longer and the outside would have burnt while part of the chicken would have still been raw. I had to eventually take them out and put them in the oven to cook all the way through. Next time I think I would use thinner portions. The filling is awesome!
Jan 16, 2017
it sounds great and I haven't made it yet, but isn't it hard to cook in pan with tooth picks sticking up, would baking chicken work good. I saw review from Murphynj that said that
Feb 19, 2015
SO DELICIOUS! Out of this world. The spinach stuffing mixture makes more than is necessary though, if you are using the free-range, hormone/anti-biotic free chicken though, because those chicken breasts tend to be MUCH smaller than the el-cheapo, Perdue brand Walmart special chicken breast. If you are using a higher priced chicken breast, I recommend cutting the spinach stuffing ingredients to 1/2 of what it calls for, or just use more than 4 chicken breasts.
Dec 3, 2014
I am not seeing potato's in the picture I am seeing tomato's
Oct 28, 2014
It was really good! I had a little extra of the stuffing mixture and used it as a dip for chips and yummy.
Oct 23, 2014
Lots of flavor! Cut a nice deep pocket and you will not lose any stuffing.
Oct 6, 2014
Very delicious, although stuffing a slit in chicken is a little difficult and the stuffing fell out.
Jun 27, 2014
How could you lighten up this recipe? I'm a weight watcherCould this recipe be made in a lighter version? Any ideas for a weight watcher?