Goat Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Chicken
This spinach-stuffed chicken breast recipe is special to me because it has so much flavor, yet not too many calories. I love Italian food, but most of the time it is too heavy. This is a healthy twist on an Italian dish! —Nicole Stevens, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/3 cup julienned soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- Aged balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In small bowl, combine the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, goat cheese, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Cut a pocket horizontally in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Fill with spinach mixture; secure with toothpicks.
- In a 8-in. cast iron or ovenproof skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on each side. Place in oven; bake 10 minutes.
- Toss asparagus with remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; add to skillet. Bake until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165° and asparagus is tender, 10-15 minutes longer. If desired, drizzle with vinegar. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with soft sun-dried tomatoes that do not need to be softened in hot water.