Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Set aside 6 tablespoons pulp for filling. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain. Drain orzo.
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, orzo and reserved pulp. Spoon into tomatoes.
- Place in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Feb 7, 2012
All I can say is WOW. Easy to make and tastes delicious.
Jul 18, 2011
I made this again tonight with Quinoa instead of orzo so we would get more protein. YUM!! Again a delicious combo.
Jul 10, 2011
LOVE this recipe! I didn't have any parsley and used dried basil and it was a total hit! Making it again tonight.
Jul 7, 2011
I made approx 1/3 recipe and used up some extra orzo from last evening. For butter I used Irish Herb butter and added a bit extra fresh basil! I added the paprika to the mixture and the extra stuffing was served along side. Very delicious!
May 11, 2011
I couldn't stop eating these tomatoes! The orzo stuffing is so delicious! It's the perfect amount of flavoring that doesn't overpower the sweetness of the ripe tomatoes. It's a wonderful summer side dish. I paired it with rosemary salmon but it would be great with grilled chicken too.
Apr 26, 2010
This is a really good recipe. I served it as an accompaniment to our salmon entree for a light and healthy dinner. I added some toasted pine nuts to the stuffing. I would probably cut back on the orzo next time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.