Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add the marinara sauce, tomato, basil, rosemary and pepper flakes. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 each: 523 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 1, 2018
These were quite yummy! I used a beef/pork/bacon sausage mix and it was delicious in this recipe. I had to cut the recipe in half because one of the peppers I bought was apparently bad. I thought it would turn out too dry but it wasn't. I did find that, despite packing the peppers pretty tightly, there just wasn't quite enough filling to balance out the pepper. I think maybe our peppers were just thick. Also make sure to crush the rosemary; I forgot to, and we kept getting the sharp edges of the rosemary poking us in our gums while we ate. I also personally felt like it needed more cheese (perhaps on the inside). Even though the dish wasn't dry, I still prefer to have more of a sauce with my stuffed peppers. Overall this was a good meal, and I'd consider making it again.
Nov 1, 2017
Great recipe! I substituted the very small ring pasta for the orzo because that was what I had on hand and since I had our own home-canned spaghetti sauce, I used that and didn't add the spices. Wonderful meal for a very chilly fall night and I will be filing this recipe to use again! Oh, and I had six large peppers and the filling was exactly right!
Aug 15, 2017
Made this recipe yesterday and it was excellent. I will make this again.
Aug 14, 2017
I have made these many times. Usually use garden fresh green peppers, they turn out wonderful! I use the recipe as stated. I have also made double batch of "stuffing" and froze it. Works well.
Aug 7, 2017
Is in the oven now. Went together easily. Seemed like a lot of orzo, but we'll see. Love stuffed peppers! Liked the fact recipe called for partially cooking the peppers before stuffing.
Jun 11, 2017
First let me say I used ground beef/chopmeat instead of sausage, my son will eat no form of sausage.The recipe was easy to follow and put together it was the first time I had ever attempted stuffed peppers .I'm a terrible cook and juggling 3 things tends to make me burn something. But was able to get them all together with no problems. I did not boil my peppers, but washed them well in warm water...4 things wold have pushed me over the edge in the juggling department :) and I feared over cooking them and having them fall apart.Delicious is what these are, the Rosemary brought a wonderful aroma to them I used ground pepper flakes (only thing I had on hand) and used just a few pinches...it really brought the flavors to life. The recipe easily stuffed 6 large peppers with some remaining for sampling by my teen kids.This is a winner recipe in my opinion!
Oct 21, 2016
A big hit in the house. It took more than 4 peppers for the quantity of filling but that was ok as I had extra on hand. We had a decent amount of leftovers but they disappeared very quickly.
Oct 7, 2016
Pretty tasty. I usually make stuffed peppers with quinoa from this website but wanted to try something different. I used ground beef rather than sausage since that's what I had on hand and left out the Parmesan because I didn't have any. Used red and green bell peppers but there was a lot of filling left so I ended up using a total of 6 peppers. Yummy!
Oct 14, 2013
My entire family loves this recipe!!! Make the meat mixture ahead & freeze. Then on a weeknight you only need to make the orzo & stuff the peppers.
Aug 29, 2013
Used red green &orange peppers & shredded chicken breasts. WOW tastes good &colorfull to