Italian Stuffed Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in. thick shell, scoop out the pulp; chop pulp and set aside. Invert the tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage, onion and garlic in a skillet until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato pulp, zucchini, basil, oregano, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in rice, provolone, 3 tablespoons Parmesan and parsley; spoon about 2/3 cup into each tomato.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until the tomatoes are heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 172 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Sep 22, 2016
Great recipe! Doubled sausage and eliminated zucchini. Perfect recipe for using large end of summer tomatoes quickly. Made biscuits at the same time and dinner was ready! As a volunteer field with Taste of Home magazine, I enjoy quality recipes that let me change up ingredients to customize it for my family.
Sep 5, 2014
This was really good, and easy to make. my only change would be to add more sausage next time as we like a meatier filling. Will definitely make again
Sep 5, 2013
My husband and I really didn't care for this dish.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.