Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 small carrot
- 1/2 celery rib, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in. shell, scoop out and reserve pulp. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, cover and process the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and reserved pulp until finely chopped. In large skillet, saute vegetable mixture and oregano in oil until tender. Add wine or broth; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Stuff tomatoes; replace tops. Place in a shallow baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through, 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 tomato: 182 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 23, 2012
Good base for a stuffing, I added quite a few things like sunflower seeds, raisins, scallions, etc, you can check out my exact recipe at imreallywritingafoodblog.wordpress.com
Jan 12, 2012
A great summer time recipe for when your garden explodes.
Aug 14, 2011
Very good, I added a bit of worcestershire sauce instead of broth or wine to give it a bit of a zing. My girlfriend loved it.
Aug 12, 2011
Good recipe! Healthy and light on calories. Would probably taste good stuffed into a portobello mushroom.
Aug 11, 2011
I did this recipe last night, was very delicious, my husband loved it... Heavenly flavor, and very easy!!!
Aug 10, 2011
Family and friends loved it. The only thing I did different was added more cheese, we are cheese addicts.
Aug 3, 2011
Good taste, but texture was to mushy. Maybe I processed my carrots, onions, garlic, etc. too much.
Oct 30, 2009
I substituted mozzarella cheese for the Parmesan and sprinkled a bit more on top before popping into the oven. Excellent!