Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches
Grill this eggplant, tomato and goat cheese sandwich to perfection...it makes a delicious meatless meal. —Jennifer Jaras, Corona, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ciabatta rolls, split
- 4 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 medium heirloom tomato, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- Mix oil and garlic; brush onto cut sides of rolls and both sides of vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Grill eggplant, covered, over medium heat, until tender, 4-5 minutes per side. Grill tomato, covered, until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes per side. Grill rolls, cut side down, until toasted, 1-2 minutes.
- Spread roll bottoms with goat cheese. Top with basil, eggplant and tomato; close sandwiches.
Health Tip: Make this hearty sandwich into a lower-calorie lunch or dinner by serving it open-face and using a knife and fork. You’ll save more than 150 calories per serving (and bring sodium below 700mg).
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 538 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Eggplant Sandwich in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017