Grilled Bistro Breakfast Sandwiches
I used to make a classic breakfast sandwich when my kids were still at home. Now that it’s just my husband and me, I’ve jazzed it up with pear, smoked Gouda and spinach. —Wendy Ball, Battle Creek, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 slices (3/4-in. thick) hearty Italian bread
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces smoked Gouda or smoked cheddar cheese, cut in 4 slices
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, cooked
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat; add eggs and scramble until set. Divide eggs between 2 slices of bread; sprinkle each with salt and pepper. Layer bread with cheese slices, pear slices, Canadian bacon and spinach. Top with remaining bread.
- If using a panini maker, spread remaining butter on both sides of sandwiches. Grill according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown and grill marks show, 6-8 minutes.
- If using an indoor grill, spread half of remaining butter on 1 side of both sandwiches. Place buttered side down on grill; press down with a heavy skillet or other weight. Grill over medium-high heat until golden brown and grill-marked, 3-5 minutes. Remove weight; spread remaining butter on other side of sandwiches. Return to grill buttered side down; replace weight. Grill until golden brown, another 3-5 minutes.