Grilled Eggplant Pita Pizzas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Grill: 20 min.
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet red pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole pita breads
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Cut eggplants into 3/4-in. slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss red pepper, onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer to a grill wok or open grill basket; place on grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium-high heat 8-12 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and slightly charred, stirring frequently.
- Rinse and drain eggplants; blot dry with paper towels. Brush eggplants with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender. Cut each slice into quarters.
- Brush both sides of pita breads with remaining oil. Grill, covered, over medium-low heat 1-2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from grill.
- Layer grilled sides of pitas with grilled vegetables, tomato, cheese and olives. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes. Return to grill; cook, covered, 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 pizza: 428 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 721mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2019
Awesome! I make pita pizza all the time, but I especially loved the grilled eggplant in this recipe. Makes for a nice, light dinner or lunch. I did peel some of the eggplant (after grilling) for those that feel it's too bitter. The recipe also did not mention the type of olive, but I used Kalamata. Delicious!