Grilled Eggplant Pita Pizzas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Grill: 20 min.
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet red pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole pita breads
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Cut eggplants into 3/4-in. slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss red pepper, onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil. Transfer to a grill wok or open grill basket; place on grill rack. Grill, uncovered, over medium-high heat 8-12 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and slightly charred, stirring frequently.
- Rinse and drain eggplants; blot dry with paper towels. Brush eggplants with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender. Cut each slice into quarters.
- Brush both sides of pita breads with remaining oil. Grill, covered, over medium-low heat 1-2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from grill.
- Layer grilled sides of pitas with grilled vegetables, tomato, cheese and olives. If desired, sprinkle with pepper flakes. Return to grill; cook, covered, 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 pizza: 428 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 721mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 12g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 20, 2019
Awesome! I make pita pizza all the time, but I especially loved the grilled eggplant in this recipe. Makes for a nice, light dinner or lunch. I did peel some of the eggplant (after grilling) for those that feel it's too bitter. The recipe also did not mention the type of olive, but I used Kalamata. Delicious!