Grilled Zucchini with Peanut Chicken
Zucchini slices make perfect finger food. It’s fun to make a topping for zucchini and a good solution for a never-ending crop. — Elisabeth Larsen, Pleasant Grv, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 16 appetizers
- 2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/2-in. slices
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Julienned carrot and chopped fresh cilantro
- Place zucchini on an oiled grill rack over medium heat; grill, covered, until tender, 3-4 minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together first seven topping ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken and onion; heat through.
- To serve, top zucchini slices with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with carrot and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 38 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Thai Chicken Zucchini Rounds in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017