Jalapeno Cheese Bread
Cheddar cheese and jalapenos give this savory bread a spicy Southwestern flair. It makes a great accompaniment to chilis and stews. Top it with sweet cream butter and watch it disappear. —Julie Delisle, Ste-Sabine, Quebec
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 package active dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Stir in cheese and jalapenos.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 110 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Jalapeno Cheese Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.