Jalapeno Buttermilk Cornbread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, whisk flour and cornmeal. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg substitute, 2 tablespoons oil, honey and mayonnaise. Pour remaining oil into an 8-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; place skillet in oven 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in corn, cheese and peppers.
- Carefully tilt and rotate skillet to coat bottom with oil; add batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 180 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2018
Nope. Just nope. This may be good, but it's not Southern. At least it's not from my part of the South (Alabama), because my grandmother would roll over in her grave if she had to eat cornbread with honey or sugar in it. It's not cake, it should not be sweet.
Mar 16, 2016
Why is there 261mg of Sodium in this recipe. how can I make it without Sodium. Thanking you, Cynthia [email protected]
Oct 3, 2014
Delicious. I substituted pickled jalapeno slices for the chopped red pepper and the jalapeno chopped pepper. I baked the bread in an 8 X 8 pan. Thanks, Debi, for this recipe. I'll make this again.
Mar 15, 2014
We love corn bread! Although I used a real egg, and didn't use any of the low-fat ingredients. This was great.