Skillet Corn Bread
This skillet bread looks like a puffy pancake but has the easy-to-cut texture of conventional corn bread. It complements everything from chicken to chili. Kathy Teela of Tucson, Arizona submitted this yummy recipe.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another small bowl, beat the egg, milk and 3 teaspoons oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Heat remaining oil in a heavy 8-in. skillet over low heat. Pour batter into the hot skillet; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn and cook 4 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 127 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Corn Bread in Taste of Home December/January 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.