Nothing says good southern cooking like a crisp cornbread baked in a cast-iron skillet. This is an old family recipe that has been passed down to each generation. —Emory Doty, Jasper, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Place 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-in. cast-iron skillet; place in oven. Preheat oven to 450°. Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and remaining oil. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven. Add batter; bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cut into slices; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 238 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 709mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Oven Fried Corn Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.