Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 to 5 green onions, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, corn, buttermilk and oil; stir into the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the cheese, peppers and onions.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 217 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2016
There is too much vegetable oil in this recipe. Is this a misprint? Otherwise,very good recipe.Please advise as to correct amount of oil to use.
Oct 10, 2011
I served this along with my favorite chili recipe when we had "Mexican Night" at our home. It was a great hit. One of my guests who enjoys corn bread says it was the best he's ever tasted.