Moist Red Pepper Cornbread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, flax, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the corn, 1 cup cheese and pepper.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 251 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 15, 2013
Yum! I admit I didn't follow this exactly since I only had a box of corn muffin mix rather than corn meal. I added just under a cup of flour to it and had to bake it 10 more minutes, but it turned out beautifully! I am done with gritty dry cornbread. I love the actual niblets of corn inside.
Jan 9, 2013
Too dense and heavy for my taste. I have much better corn bread recipes.
Mar 23, 2012
It says 9 servings; I'd say at least 12. This was okay but I doubt I will make it again; we will stick with regular cornbread, no corn or cheese.
Jan 18, 2012
My husband loved this along with the quinoa turkey chili
Jan 17, 2012
Nothing extremely special about this recipe. I wasn't took crazy about the results but the family liked it. Moist...that's definately a plus!
Nov 29, 2011
Unexpectedly yummy! I don't usually use cheese or corn in corn bread. The kids LOVED it! Love using flaxseed, too. Very easy. Make with the Quinoa Turkey Chili - a great cool night dinner for sure!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.