Roasted Red Pepper Bread
This savory bread is moist, tender and loaded with flavor from grated Parmesan cheese and roasted sweet red peppers. You can't go wrong serving it as an appetizer or alongside your favorite dinner entree.—Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- Place red peppers in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the red peppers, 1 cup cheese, milk, butter, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape each into a 18-in. rope. Place 3 ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water; brush over braids. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 99 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.