Garlic Asiago Bread
My friends and family rave about this recipe. It has chunks of cheese and fabulous garlic taste. We have bread sales at our school as a fundraiser and this is always one of the top sellers.—Charlotte Thomas, Pollock Pines, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (10 wedges each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup cubed Asiago cheese
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, garlic, sugar, salt, vinegar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Stir in cheese.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into 5-in.-round loaves. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- For egg wash, in a small bowl, combine egg and water. Brush over loaves. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 107 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Garlic Asiago Bread in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.