Garlic & Oregano Bread
Homemade bread can be easy! Literally just stir up the dough. No kneading. No sweating. Use a rubber spatula for easy clean-up.—Megumi Garcia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min.+ rising Bake: 50 min.+ cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups water (70° to 75°)
- 3-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal or additional flour
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, mix 3-1/2 cups flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir in yeast mixture to form a soft, sticky dough. Do not knead. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise at room temperature 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a 9-in. square. Fold dough into thirds, forming a 9x3-in. rectangle. Fold rectangle into thirds, forming a 3-in. square. Turn dough over; place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise at room temperature until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and repeat folding process. Return dough to bowl; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Dust bottom of a disposable foil roasting pan with cornmeal. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine garlic and milk; microwave on high for 45 seconds; drain garlic, discarding milk. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead in garlic and oregano. Shape dough into a 6-in. round loaf.
- Transfer to prepared pan; dust top with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Cover pan with plastic wrap; let rise at room temperature until dough expands to a 7-1/2-in.-loaf, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 inch deep) across top of loaf. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest oven rack 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 450°. Remove foil; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until deep golden brown. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 112 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Crusty No-Knead Homemade Bread in Taste of Home November 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.