Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks
I receive many compliments when I make these delicious breadsticks. I've passed the recipe on to a number of family members and friends.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Garlic salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce, warmed, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 24x10-in. rectangle. Cut dough in half lengthwise, then into 5-in. x 1-in. strips. Twist each strip and place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Brush strips with remaining butter; sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. If desired, serve with marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 141 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks in Country August/September 2001
Oct 21, 2012
It is agood side dish for spagetti
Feb 26, 2009
I put all ingredients into my breadmaker,adding an extra Tb. of flour during dough cycle and did the rest in the oven. Very good but will add 1/4 tsp more of salt next time.