Best Ever Breadsticks
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Coarse salt
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk, 1/4 cup water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Pinch off golf ball-size pieces. On a lightly floured surface, shape each into a 6-in. rope. Place on greased baking sheets 1 in. apart. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Beat egg white and remaining water; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 breadstick: 69 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 31, 2019
These were really good, but I did have to make a few changes. I was out of milk and so used heavy whipping cream diluted with water (half and half to make 3/4 c) and added garlic and increased the salt to 1 Tbsp. Out of butter, I subbed for an equal amount of olive oil ( like I would for pizza dough) . Also rather than using instant yeast, I used regular since I had a morning. Just before putting them in the oven for lunch, I brushed with the egg white and sprinkled with Italian herbs. They were very soft, fluffy and oh so good! We just ate them with a side of from-scratch marinara for dipping, made two days prior for mini pizzas. Perfect snack! I got 15 and they were done in 12 minutes at 400.