Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and milk. Add the sugar, butter, salt, baking soda and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into 32 pieces. Shape each into a 4-1/2-in. rope.
- Place melted butter in a shallow bowl. Place cheese in a second shallow bowl. Dip ropes in butter, then coat with cheese. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Combine Italian seasoning and garlic powder; sprinkle over breadsticks. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
1 breadstick: 117 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.