Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pita bread, warmed and cut into wedges, or assorted crackers
- Additional garbanzo beans or chickpeas, optional
- Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Place the peppers in a food processor. Add the beans, lemon juice, tahini, oil, garlic and seasonings; cover and process until blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with pita bread and crackers. Garnish with additional beans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 113 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2017
Like this recipe very much for it was much better than store bought (although I did use a jar of red peppers) This is a keeper.
Nov 17, 2014
This is wonderful! So much better than store bought. I added a little real maple syrup & 18 year old balsamic vinegar to it & it was perfect!
May 26, 2014
A real family favorite. I always use smoked Olive oil. Liquid Smoke would work equally well, just go light.
Mar 2, 2014
I tried this recipe as printed, except for the coriander as I don't care for it. A few tweaks later and my son and I loved it. I used one red and one yellow pepper, exchanged lime juice for the lemon (or a combination is good) 2 T. tahini, 2 T. olive oil and drizzle in 1 more if needed for processing, and a 1/2 tsp. salt. We eat it with mini tortilla chips.
Apr 28, 2013
Love this hummus! I cannot get the texture perfect but everyone has loved it!
Mar 29, 2013
I made this with Yellow Bell Peppers and halved the recipe. I was in a hurry, and so left out the cumin and coriander. They were in the back of the cabinet, and I was pressed for time. I also seeded and cut the pepper in half before placing it cut side down on a baking sheet instead of leaving it whole, and only broiled it until it was partially blackened, the center top of each half, and then peeled them. I suppose it's only a relative of the original recipe, but it's tasty all the same. It's definitely delicious on a cheddar cheese sandwich.
Sep 6, 2012
I bought a jar of roasted red peppers, to me it was a lot easier then fussing with roasting fresh. I added tamari, curry and carmalized onions and garlic, it was a huge hit :-)
Aug 12, 2012
I made this for a party, and it was very well received. The recipe makes a large batch. I'll probably only make a half batch in the future.
Aug 11, 2012
We make this at work in our collage kitchen it is excellent and everyone loves it instead of that paste u use we use seasme oil it is excellent love it
Apr 26, 2012
I made this for a lunch pitch in and work and it was a big hit! Everyone loved it and was asking me for the recipe. I will definitely make this one again.