Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pita bread, warmed and cut into wedges, and reduced-fat wheat snack crackers
- Additional garbanzo beans or chickpeas, optional
- Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Place the peppers in a food processor. Add the beans, lemon juice, tahini, oil, garlic and seasonings; cover and process until blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with pita bread and crackers. Garnish with additional beans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 113 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 24, 2017
Like this recipe very much for it was much better than store bought (although I did use a jar of red peppers) This is a keeper.
Nov 17, 2014
This is wonderful! So much better than store bought. I added a little real maple syrup & 18 year old balsamic vinegar to it & it was perfect!
May 26, 2014
A real family favorite. I always use smoked Olive oil. Liquid Smoke would work equally well, just go light.
Mar 2, 2014
I tried this recipe as printed, except for the coriander as I don't care for it. A few tweaks later and my son and I loved it. I used one red and one yellow pepper, exchanged lime juice for the lemon (or a combination is good) 2 T. tahini, 2 T. olive oil and drizzle in 1 more if needed for processing, and a 1/2 tsp. salt. We eat it with mini tortilla chips.
Apr 28, 2013
Love this hummus! I cannot get the texture perfect but everyone has loved it!
Mar 29, 2013
I made this with Yellow Bell Peppers and halved the recipe. I was in a hurry, and so left out the cumin and coriander. They were in the back of the cabinet, and I was pressed for time. I also seeded and cut the pepper in half before placing it cut side down on a baking sheet instead of leaving it whole, and only broiled it until it was partially blackened, the center top of each half, and then peeled them. I suppose it's only a relative of the original recipe, but it's tasty all the same. It's definitely delicious on a cheddar cheese sandwich.
Sep 6, 2012
I bought a jar of roasted red peppers, to me it was a lot easier then fussing with roasting fresh. I added tamari, curry and carmalized onions and garlic, it was a huge hit :-)
Aug 12, 2012
I made this for a party, and it was very well received. The recipe makes a large batch. I'll probably only make a half batch in the future.
Aug 11, 2012
We make this at work in our collage kitchen it is excellent and everyone loves it instead of that paste u use we use seasme oil it is excellent love it
Apr 26, 2012
I made this for a lunch pitch in and work and it was a big hit! Everyone loved it and was asking me for the recipe. I will definitely make this one again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.