Roasted Beetroot and Garlic Hummus
This beetroot hummus is so tasty, healthy and the prettiest pink snack I’ve ever seen. This is also a handy recipe to make in large batches and keep in the fridge for lunches and snacks throughout the week. —Elizabeth Worndl, Toronto, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 fresh medium beets (about 1 pound)
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, optional
- Minced fresh dill weed or parsley
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Sliced or torn pita bread
- Preheat oven to 375°. Pierce beets with a fork; place in a microwave-safe bowl and cover loosely with plastic. Microwave beets on high for 4 minutes, stirring halfway. Cool slightly. Wrap beets in individual foil packets.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, but do not peel or separate cloves. Cut in half crosswise. Sprinkle halves with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in individual foil packets. Roast beets and garlic until cloves are soft, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven; unwrap. Rinse beets with cold water; peel when cool enough to handle. Squeeze garlic from skins. Place beets and garlic in food processor. Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, cayenne pepper and remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- If desired, pulse 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt with beet mixture, dolloping remaining yogurt over finished hummus. Sprinkle with dill or parsley. Serve with assorted vegetables and pita bread.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 87 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Roasted Beetroot and Garlic Hummus in Taste of Home Summer 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.