Cranberry and Roasted Beet Salad
I created this as a healthy, tasty side dish to complement Christmas dinner. This enticing substitute for cranberry relish is excellent with turkey. Even the children loved it! Serve the beet blend alone or on a bed of salad greens. —Brianna St. Clair, Worland, Wyoming
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 5 medium fresh beets (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Fresh arugula or spring mix salad greens, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, 45-50 minutes. Remove foil; cool completely. Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. cubes; transfer to a large bowl. Add pear and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, cranberry and orange juices, and salt; drizzle over beet mixture. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Remove from refrigerator 20 minutes before serving. Toss to coat. Top with goat cheese, almonds and parsley. If desired, serve with arugula.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 212 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.