Roast Beets with Orange Gremolata and Goat Cheese
My grandma always grew beets then pickled or canned them, but I prefer to prepare them differently. I like these roasted beets in the winter but they can be enjoyed all year with the addition of fresh herbs and tangy goat cheese. —Courtney Archibeque, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3 medium fresh golden beets (about 1 pound)
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- Preheat oven to 400°. Scrub beets and trim tops by 1 in. Place beets on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 24x12-in.). Fold foil around beets, sealing tightly. Place on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, 55-65 minutes. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- When cool enough to handle, peel, halve and slice beets; place in a serving bowl. Add lime juice, orange juice and salt; toss to coat. Combine parsley, sage, garlic and orange zest; sprinkle over beets. Top with goat cheese and sunflower kernels. Serve warm or chilled.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 49 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.