Roasted Garlic Green Beans with Cashews
My mom got a garlic roaster and soon my kitchen was overflowing with heads of sweet, gooey, roasted garlic. This recipe, one of my many experiments, was a favorite of my family. The roasted garlic is mild and adds a rich, buttery taste to the beans. —Virginia Sturm, San Francisco, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lightly salted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut stem ends off unpeeled garlic cloves. Place cloves on a piece of foil. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil; wrap in foil. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cloves are soft. Unwrap and cool slightly. Squeeze garlic from skins; mash with a fork to form a paste.
- In a Dutch oven, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add green beans and garlic; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-10 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender and water is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Add cashews, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 208 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 29, 2016
Jan 4, 2014
A new twist on green beans, but only if you LOVE garlic. Sprinkle the cashews on top after plating (rather than stirring in) to help keep them crunchy.
Nov 30, 2013
Made this forThanksgiving. Very delicious !!!!