Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions. Drain and rinse the beans, discarding liquid. Transfer to a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; add onion, bay leaf and water.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 12 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Drain mixture, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Discard onion and bay leaf.
- Place the beans, parsley, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to achieve desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup (calculated without vegetables): 139 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Oct 2, 2019
We love hummus and it's so easy to make, so expensive in the grocery store and so good for you. I added some roasted red peppers. You can use canned chick peas but l think the dry has a better flavour. Janet. VFE
Jul 12, 2019
The only changes I made to the original recipe were to accommodate what I had in the pantry. Used 2 tablespoons of sesame oil for the tahini and a can of chickpeas instead of dried. Added some onion powder since I didn’t cook the peas. My husband said it’s a lot better than the store bought. Only takes 5 min or so to prepare if you use canned peas. Will be making this often.
Aug 26, 2013
I left out the cumin, bay leaf and cayenne and added drained, roasted red peppers. It's nice to be able to add ingredients from your favorite store-bought hummus.
May 31, 2011
This is the best hummus recipe I have used so far. I did make a few changes to it, but the basics of it turned out fabulous!!