Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a large bowl; add water to cover by 2 in. Cover and let stand overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a pressure cooker; add the onion, bay leaf and 4 cups water.
- Close cover securely according to manufacturer’s directions. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 12 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow, steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.)
- Remove from the heat; allow pressure to drop on its own. Immediately cool according to manufacturer’s directions until pressure is completely reduced. Drain bean mixture, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Discard onion and bay leaf.
- Place the beans, parsley, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to achieve desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup (calculated without vegetables): 139 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 26, 2013
I left out the cumin, bay leaf and cayenne and added drained, roasted red peppers. It's nice to be able to add ingredients from your favorite store-bought hummus.
May 31, 2011
This is the best hummus recipe I have used so far. I did make a few changes to it, but the basics of it turned out fabulous!!