Warm Roasted Beet Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 8 fresh beets
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Scrub and peel beets. Cut into wedges; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spritz beets with additional cooking spray until coated. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, heat orange juice over medium heat in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup. Remove from heat. Whisk in next 7 ingredients. Set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, place arugula in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1/4 cup dressing; toss to coat. Divide mixture among 6 salad plates. Place beets in the same bowl; add remaining dressing and toss to coat. Arrange on plates. Sprinkle salads with blue cheese and hazelnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 147 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 4, 2016
I am generally not that fond of beets, but saw some "Italian" beets at our local farmers' market and thought I would try them. I really liked this recipe. The dressing did not reduce to a syrupy consistency, but it was still good. A bit too much effort for a hot summer night, but I may try it again when the weather is cooler.
Jan 23, 2012
My husband and I enjoyed this recipe very much. Roasting the beets really brings out the sweetness.
Jan 9, 2012
Jan 4, 2012
Can I use some beets I canned this past season without too much change in flavor?
Dec 24, 2010
Fabulous! I prefer to roast the beets before cutting them up. The dressing is A+.
Mar 21, 2009
3 w.w. points