Here's a delightfully different salad that balances the earthy flavor of beets with the natural sweetness of berries. If you prefer, substitute crumbled feta for the goat cheese. —Amy Lyons, Mounds View, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 each fresh red and golden beets
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 ounce fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Place beets in an 8-in. square baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and bake at 400° for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper; set aside. Cool beets; peel and cut into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the beets, berries, walnuts and shallot. Pour dressing over beet mixture and toss gently to coat. Divide salad greens among 4 serving plates. Top with beet mixture; sprinkle with cheese and basil.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 183 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Beet Strawberry Love Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Nov 19, 2017
This was my favorite summertime salad. I eat beets regularly with oil and vinegar. This recipe was a nice change! Makes a great presentation for a luncheon get-together. I served with homemade scones. So good!!
Jul 11, 2017
This is a great salad!