Wheat Berry Salad
This hearty salad is bursting with harvest flavors and healthful omega-3s. The chewy wheat berries, sweet-tart dried cherries and crunchy walnuts make a winning combination.—Nancy Lange, Phoenix, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups wheat berries
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mixed salad greens, optional
- Place wheat berries in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 1 hour or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl. Cool completely.
- Add celery, cherries, walnuts, parsley and green onion to wheat berries. In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper until blended; add to salad and toss to coat. If desired, serve over greens.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without salad greens): 323 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Wheatberry Salad in Country Woman February/March 2012