Cranberry-Pecan Wheat Berry Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 70 min. + cooling
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook wheat berries according to package directions; drain and cool. Meanwhile, combine next five ingredients; add wheat berries. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 298 calories, 15g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 17, 2018
Very good. I made a few changes by increasing the cider vinegar by 2 T and the mustard by 1 t. I also added 2T of maple syrup to the dressing. It was reviewed very positively by my guests. I will make this again !
Feb 1, 2017
Excellent. I toasted the pecans but other than that followed the recipe. I prepared the salad while the grain cooked, let the flavours blend. I will make this again and again. Janet. VFE