Citrus & Roasted Beets Salad
Glistening citrus and beets star in this colorful, tangy salad. It's a refreshing mix of bright flavors—just add chicken and it's a complete meal. —Peter Eldridge, Clermont, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1 can (14 ounces) hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 tangerine, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated tangerine zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Remove foil; allow beets to cool.
- Peel beets and cut into 1/2-in. cubes. On six salad plates, arrange the arugula, beets, heart of palm, grapefruit, orange and tangerine; sprinkle with cheese. Whisk the vinegar, orange and tangerine zest, orange juice, mustard and honey; gradually whisk in oil. Drizzle over salads. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 223 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Citrus & Roasted Beets Salad in Country Woman June/July 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.