Chilled Beet Salad
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1/2 pound fresh beets
- 1/4 small red onion
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from the water; cool.
- Peel beets and thinly slice. Transfer to a small bowl. Add the remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 105 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Jul 3, 2018
this is so delish... i add cold sliced hardboiled eggs and celery for an added touch. it really delivers. thank you.
Oct 25, 2016
I can't believe that this tasty, super easy recipe only has one Review. Both hubby and I really enjoyed a small sampling of this recipe. Its a very nice alternative to the ever popular cucumber one. The taste is very Fresh even though I used one small can of Beets. I did not change one thing as the ingredients looked perfect to me which is what drew me in. I did add the juice that the beets came in. Turned out to be a nice idea as it did give the beets more marinating liquid.As a Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor I highly suggest alternating the cucumber salad with this one * I sure am glad I did *Janie
Sep 28, 2014
I had left over roasted beets & combined with this dressing - easy & tasty!