Beet Spinach Salad
My husband and I like this salad's fresh taste and the fact that it uses beets, spinach, mint and onion, all of which we grow in our large garden.—Marguerite Shaeffer, Sewell, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 large fresh beets
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool; peel and cut into 1/4-in. strips.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar and mustard until blended; gradually whisk in oil. Add the sugar, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the beets, onions, mint and 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, orange sections, beet mixture and remaining vinaigrette; toss. Top with raspberries. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 174 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Beet Spinach Salad in Taste of Home August/September 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.