Minted Beet Salad
We have neighbors who share vegetables from their garden, and every year my husband and I look forward to their beets. My interest in Mediterranean food inspired this beet salad recipe—the vinegar and oil dressing with fresh mint tones down the sweetness of the beets and the kalamata olives add a salty touch. —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 5 medium fresh beets (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint, divided
- Scrub beets; trim tops to 1 in. Place in a single layer in a large microwave-safe dish. Drizzle with water. Microwave, covered, on high 14-15 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, turning once; let stand 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and cut beets into 3/4-in. pieces. In a bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, salt and pepper until blended. Add olives, beets and 1 tablespoon mint; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour or until cold. Top with remaining mint.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 123 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as FRESH BEET SALAD WITH KALAMATA OLIVES AND MINT in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.