Roasted Beet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Beets, oranges and spinach sprinkled with goat cheese make a scrumptious new blend for a mixed green salad. The combination may seem unlikely, but I guarantee it will become a favorite. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes12 servings (1 cup each)
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender. Remove foil; cool completely. Peel beets and cut into wedges.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper until blended; stir in 1 tablespoon tarragon. In a large bowl, combine spinach, salad greens and remaining tarragon. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.
- Transfer to a platter or divide among 12 salad plates. Top with orange sections and beets; sprinkle with cheese and walnuts. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chicken Roasted Beet Goat Cheese Salad with Orange Vinaigrette in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015