Red Pepper Cornmeal Souffle
I use the vegetables from our garden in all my cooking. Dotted with parsley and red pepper, this souffle is a favorite. —Janet Eckhoff, Woodland, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 7 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and red pepper in butter until tender. Add the milk. Bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in cornmeal; whisk constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the cornmeal mixture to the egg yolks; mix well. Return all to saucepan.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining salt until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cornmeal mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. souffle dish.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 193 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 28, 2013
Super Souffle! Nice southwest flavor with the peppers. I reduce the onion, added some tomato and mushroom to or family's prefer taste. The sharp cheddar flavor and cornmeal texture was wonderful.