Moist & Sweet Cornbread
We prefer good old Southern cornbread with our beans but sometimes want it sweeter. Here’s a sweet version to hold up the butter. —Stacey Feather, Jay, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 308 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.