Corny Corn Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in corn and onion.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 290 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 535mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 13, 2013
I knew better...1 c. of oil? Nope, shouldn't have done it. The cornbread was oily from top to bottom. Completely inedible.
Nov 8, 2010
I usually make this to go along with the Heartwarming Chili (also here on TOH). With a large family, I'm glad it makes a lot. It is very moist & really yummy and we just love the corn baked right into it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.